Tonight, all the controlling electronics were dry enough to run all eight controllers, which means the full 2010 display is back running once again! 🙂
Some light sets did suffer damage from the excessive rains of last Tuesday, however on the bright side (no pun intended), a dead section of rope light seems to have fix itself.
It seems progress is finally being made in drying out the wet electronics. Clearing out water from a power board is not that easy when you are unable to open up the casing for inspection.
Providing it does not rain this evening, I should be able to have the windows, roof and mega tree operating. Much of the garden will probably still be turned off for another day or two, though.
Amongst all this, a video of the display dancing to Wizards In Winter is now online (this was filmed before the weather event)
With less than two hours remaining before the intended switch on, and with about 10 powerboards still wet, there will yet again be no light show.
I am running a test to see whether I can operate the mega tree and roof only, as they run fully on low voltage DC, hence there are no powerboards with 240v electricity to get wet. Whilst no power mixes with water, there are much less issues with low voltage DC power if water does come into contact.
A fair few of the power boards that became water logged after Tuesday’s stormy weather are still damp, so once again there will not be a show this evening.
It is looking more likely that Saturday may be when the show returns.
Due to the very heavy rains, hail and flash flooding, there will be no chance of a show tonight. There looks to be little chance of a show in the next few days either due to the result of near horizontal rains which have gotten many powerboards wet. 240v power and water do not mix, obviously.
Until they are dry and it is safe to power them, there will be no light display. Having never experienced weather like this during December, I have no idea how many days it may take to get everything in a safe condition.
Check out this photo to see the water damage for yourself. Time to get the hair dryers out!
The rain has been very heavy today, so it is looking unlikely that there will be any lights running tonight. The weather forecast shows that the heavy rains are likely to continue into tomorrow night as well, potentially meaning two consecutive nights without a display. Please keep this in mind if you are traveling from afar these next few nights – I wouldn’t want to disappoint!
On the brighter side, two more videos of this year’s light show are now live on the video page – enjoy!
A video of the launch song from December 3 (thanks to the wet weather) is now up on the video page and YouTube directly for all to see.
Can anybody spot the differences to last year?
This may be a little late coming, but with heavy rain and thunderstorms persisting, I have made the decision to cancel the launch event of the 2010 display.
Forecasts suggested rains would clear by 6 pm which they have not. It is not until Friday that the updated weather prediction suggests that the rains shall clear.
The new ‘official’ launch event will be on Friday the 3rd of December. As always, lights will be on at 8:30 pm sharp.
It is now just a few days away from switch on, and some power problems remain.
The show will still light up on December 1st subject to weather, but with some elements non-functioning. I am hoping that these last few problems can be ironed out before the weekend.
Please note that if thunderstorms and rain are present on December 1 then light up will not go ahead for safety reasons – sorry.
It is getting closer to the planned December 1 launch, but I am still having issues with certain DC channels.
The roof appears to be working fine now but the mega tree is another story. I think it is pretty much a given that the street gum tree will be dropped from this years show in order to free up some back up channels for hopefully getting the mega tree working properly.