The wet and stormy weather has cleared so the Christmas display is now running from the usual 8:30 to 10:30 pm timeframe.
Heavy rain and thunderstorms are approaching over the next hour. There is a chance that there will not be a display tonight as a result of this wet weather.
A final decision will be made closer to 8:30 tonight.
UPDATE 1 8:30pm: The display is running, but may switch off before 10:30 pm if the thunderstorms return.
UPDATE 2 9:40pm: Heavy rains have returned so the display has been switched off for the night early. The lights return tomorrow at 8:30 pm.
The final display items are going out now with just 50 hours left until the 2011 switch on.
With the weather looking good for this year’s switch on, you can see the lights doing what they do from Thursday, December 1, at 8:30 pm.
It is now full steam ahead with the display set up. All roof lights have been installed as of today, and there is a change here! What is the change? You’ll have to keep an eye on the 2011 photo gallery page for addition of new photos in coming days.
As in other years, the scheduled light up time will be at 8:30 pm on December 1. This will not occur if there are strong winds or wet weather present. Unlike previous years, there will be no official launch song.
The lights have now been switched off for the final time in 2010. I’d like to wish everybody a happy and enjoyable 2011. Thanks again to the people who extended their hand after part of the display was brought down by vandals.
Now comes the big task of tearing down the display and putting everything neatly into storage (perhaps I lie about the neatness… we will see).
Tonight, all the controlling electronics were dry enough to run all eight controllers, which means the full 2010 display is back running once again! 🙂
Some light sets did suffer damage from the excessive rains of last Tuesday, however on the bright side (no pun intended), a dead section of rope light seems to have fix itself.
It seems progress is finally being made in drying out the wet electronics. Clearing out water from a power board is not that easy when you are unable to open up the casing for inspection.
Providing it does not rain this evening, I should be able to have the windows, roof and mega tree operating. Much of the garden will probably still be turned off for another day or two, though.
With less than two hours remaining before the intended switch on, and with about 10 powerboards still wet, there will yet again be no light show.
I am running a test to see whether I can operate the mega tree and roof only, as they run fully on low voltage DC, hence there are no powerboards with 240v electricity to get wet. Whilst no power mixes with water, there are much less issues with low voltage DC power if water does come into contact.
A fair few of the power boards that became water logged after Tuesday’s stormy weather are still damp, so once again there will not be a show this evening.
It is looking more likely that Saturday may be when the show returns.